Tomb Raider: Ascension (2013 Reboot Prototype) Sept 12, 2013 2:00:23 GMT
Post by AJ.R on Sept 12, 2013 2:00:23 GMT
- The name changed from “Tomb Raider: Ascension” to just “Tomb Raider”. Relating to the ascension of Lara Croft from naive student to the lady as we know it, and the ascension of Queen Himiko’s soul from one body to the next, the name of the original game changed to show that the series is truly being rebooted by sharing a title with its earliest predecessor. Thankfully, this action meant there was no clash with the most recent God of War title.
- The fantasy aspects have been reduced vastly. Ascension appears to have had many different enemies that were rather fantasy-orientated. Giants and undead-like creatures can be seen fully drawn in concept art and even fairly close to completion in the leaked prototype video at the bottom of the article.
- Lara can no longer ride horses. The concept art and the prototype video both show Lara riding a horse.
- Lara once had a young companion. Similar to the renown Walking Dead game, Tomb Raider appeared to have a child companion by Lara’s side to both help her fight (seemingly) and for Lara to take care of. It would be interesting to see this side of Ms Croft. The child (little girl) can be seen in an image and in the prototype video.
- Lara’s cleaver/machete. It seems by the look of things that Lara was once designed to have a cleaver or machete. This could have been where the idea of melee attacks originated from.
- Lara’s look. It seems that lara’s iconic look has ranged from what it is now to the gunslinger style we’ve grown to love throughout the development process. (See prototype video)
- Total Free-roam. The high demand for Crystal Dynamics to include free roam into Tomb Raider meant a lot of experimentation for the franchise. The finished result is now hubs that are efficiently proportioned and varied over Yamatai. But, it seems from the prototype video that early Tomb Raider included it.